I am available to facilitate a range of workshops, presentations and poetry events. I am a passionate and experienced poetry educator with the firm belief that poetry is for everyone. I use poetry and spoken-word to build creativity and confidence, facilitating a sense of belonging and unified purpose within groups. I am a trained secondary English teacher who loves helping people of all ages fall in love with words. My workshops and talks have been presented at Story-fest’18, The Rumble Youth program, Tweed Regional Gallery, South Coast Writers Centre, the NSW English Teachers Association annual conference and more.
To book any of the activities listed below please contact me.
- SlamCraft. Learn the techniques used in powerful spoken-word poetry and create a short poem for performance. Suitable for beginners to intermediate writers. 45min presentation, 2hr workshop or 1/2 day. See more here.
- Reclaiming Stories. Using traditional fairytales and myth as inspiration, write your own empowering story for the next generation. For women and non-binary participants, beginners welcome. 2hr workshop or 1/2 day.
- SlamCraft. Find your powerful voice through slam poetry with Sarah Temporal (shy girl turned slam poet). Suitable for secondary stages 4-6, 2hrs.
- Reclaiming Stories. Who said fairytales have to be pretty? Learn to write about things that are hard or hidden with this empowering workshop for girls. 1.5hrs, ages 14+
- Writer-In-Residence. Writing intensives for students and teachers culminating in a performance of the work created. Offered in 1/2 day blocks over 1-2 weeks. Note: Availability is currently limited to NSW Northern Rivers and QLD Gold Coast.
- Poet-In-Residence. I deliver a tailored program to meet your organisation’s needs. This might be facilitating professional development or evaluation, improving public speaking skills, or helping clients tell their stories through poetry. Residencies can include in-house performances, workshops, social media engagement, project support, or a combination.
- School holiday workshops in creative writing and slam poetry. Details coming soon.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact me to discuss ideas!
“This is the first creative writing workshop I have ever attended. I came thinking I’m not a poet; I’m leaving with a poem I’ve written and am proud to perform. Thank you.” – Dee Milenkovic, SlamCraft participant 2018
“It was a truly great experience to write my first ‘slam’ poem, and to be so expertly guided. I felt confident and happy to stand up and deliver it to the group.” Irene, 2018 workshop participant.
“I’ve never been so moved by my own poetry. This experience is with much thanks to Sarah for creating and facilitating a workshop which helps people to connect with themselves and others through their spoken words.” – Gabrielle Journey Jones, spoken word artist and author of ‘Spoken Medicine’
“Sarah Temporal’s SlamCraft is a much-needed excavation of the components behind successful spoken word poetry. Sarah uses an in-depth study of successful spoken word artists and the form’s hip hop origins to educate those wishing to hone their writing for the stage.” – Elliot York Cameron, Word Travels Program & Education Officer 2018