I am available to facilitate a range of workshops, presentations and poetry events. I am a passionate and experienced poetry educator with the firm belief that poetry is for everyone. I use poetry and spoken-word to build creativity and confidence, facilitating a sense of belonging and unified purpose within groups. I am a trained secondary English teacher who loves helping people of all ages fall in love with words. My workshops and talks have been presented at Story-fest’18, The Rumble Youth program, South Coast Writers Centre, the NSW English Teachers Association annual conference and more.
Note: Availability is currently limited to NSW Northern Rivers and QLD Gold Coast unless travel can be arranged.
To book any of the activities listed below please contact me.
- SlamCraft. Learn the techniques used in powerful spoken-word poetry and create a short poem for performance. Suitable for beginners to intermediate writers. 45min presentation or 2hr workshop. See more here.
- Reclaiming Stories. Using traditional fairytales and myth as inspiration, write your own empowering story for the next generation. For women and non-binary participants, beginners welcome.
- Poet is a verb. What if poetry is something we do, not an object we study? I use engaging performance and simple exercises to unlock creative expression. $250, 1hr. For Stages 3-5.
- SLAM! I help your students create their own slam poem to express their unique story, with the opportunity to perform. $350, 2.5hrs incl. break. For Stages 3-6.
- Writer-In-Residence. As part of my writing projects for young audiences, students have the opportunity to see a writer at work and engage with the live creative process. I facilitate writing intensives for students and teachers culminating in a performance of the work created. Offered in 1/2 day blocks over 1-2 weeks.
- Poet-In-Residence. Support your local poet by providing a public workspace where your clients or employees can drop in on the poet at work. Start the day with a poem, watch the creative process unfold, and learn to write your own. I provide a tailored poetry project or workshop to meet your organisation’s needs; for example, create a collaborative poem to evaluate your programs or have client stories displayed on a “poet-tree”.
- School holiday workshops in creative writing and slam poetry. Details coming soon.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact me to discuss ideas!
“This is the first creative writing workshop I have ever attended. I came thinking I’m not a poet; I’m leaving with a poem I’ve written and am proud to perform. Thank you.” – Dee Milenkovic, SlamCraft participant 2018
“It was a truly great experience to write my first ‘slam’ poem, and to be so expertly guided. I felt confident and happy to stand up and deliver it to the group.” Irene, 2018 workshop participant.
“I’ve never been so moved by my own poetry. This experience is with much thanks to Sarah for creating and facilitating a workshop which helps people to connect with themselves and others through their spoken words.” – Gabrielle Journey Jones, spoken word artist and author of ‘Spoken Medicine’
“Sarah Temporal’s SlamCraft is a much-needed excavation of the components behind successful spoken word poetry. Sarah uses an in-depth study of successful spoken word artists and the form’s hip hop origins to educate those wishing to hone their writing for the stage.” – Elliot York Cameron, Word Travels Program & Education Officer 2018